2016. március 6., vasárnap

Postgraduate Open Day on University Campus





Postgraduate Open Day on University Campus
Saturday 23rd April, 10am – 12noon

Our Postgraduate Open Day is an opportunity to find out about the Postgraduate Diploma in The Geology of Yorkshire and Northern England. Take part in a workshop lead by Dr Annette McGrath, our Associate Lecturer who will bring along some rocks and fossils from Northern England for you to explore. During the interactive session, Annette will present specific information regarding the modules on the programme and about the yearly residential course, which involves excursions to local geological sites. During refreshments we will gather altogether so you can meet the wider Lifelong Learning team and chat with current students on our PG Dip courses about their experiences. We can answer questions about anything from the Virtual Learning Environment, what it is like to study on a Distance Learning course, to the application form and how to apply.
The Diploma is aimed at anyone with an interest in Geology. Whether you are at a pivotal point in your career or simply desire to take your Geology interest to a new academic level, the course will stimulate and enhance your current knowledge of Geology and is suited to anyone with an enquiring and adventurous mind. 






Alternatively attend our Online Chat Session 17th May. More details will be posted on our website soon.
Do you have a question that you would like to be answered by one of our current students instead? If so, please email me with your query and I will forward it to one of our first year Geology students. Please take a look at a Student Testimony below.

Andrew Sanderson
Current Postgraduate Diploma Student

“I am a retired general medical practitioner with an interest in geology. I started out learning more through the Open University, completing a small number of modules, but became increasingly unhappy about the increasing distance between the Open University and geology and finding it hard to find suitable courses. I then came across this course via an e-mail from the North Eastern Geological Society.
The residential week was brilliant. I have been on many geological trips, including two Open University summer schools. This was much more academically rigorous. There were three days in the lab, looking at rock samples and learning how to draw and describe rocks, including opportunities to use microscopes.  There were two field trip days where an organised approach to seeing what was there and recording what you saw. We also toured around the library and were taught how to access material online and also access to local university libraries. 
I was worried about my ability to cope with online learning, but this has proved to be less of a problem than I anticipated. In the residential week, we were introduced to the computer help department who were brilliant dealing with someone who has limited computer ability. There was an initial problem in that my iPad wouldn't properly show the content of each week's work, but this seems now to have been resolved by the computer department at the university.
Each week brings a new challenge. The reading list for the week is laid out into essential, recommended and background reading. I have bought most of the recommended texts, but much of what is needed is provided as a link from the reading lists. Once you have read the essential documents, you are encouraged to look for more information either from the library online or another source (I use google scholar extensively).
Each week you are set two tasks, usually one involves writing about a set subject. There is a specified word limit and you are expected to produce something relevant. You are also encouraged to look at the submissions from the other students on the course. This has been very helpful, as we all seem to have different approaches to the same problem. I learn a lot from the others on the course.
Time spent is supposed to be 15 hours a week. Most weeks, I spend more than this, some weeks perhaps a little less.
Tutor support is genuinely excellent. If I have a problem or a question, I email the tutor and she replies, generally the same day with an answer that I can understand.
The end of module assessments (I have so far done one) are a challenge. It seems that the requirement is two documents, one of a thousand words and a second of three thousand words. The hardest part was understanding and complying with the required Harvard referencing system which is very specific and unbending. For me, undoubtedly the best bit of the assessments was the return of my scripts with the markers' comments on the script. From this, I was able to learn precisely where I had gone wrong. Hopefully this will enable me not to make the same mistakes again.
Overall the course is challenging with a new challenge arriving every Monday, with a time limit on completing the work. I have found this to be hard, but I have learnt a lot in a short time. I have a much better understanding of my local geology and going on geological trips in my area are much more rewarding, as I can relate what I see to what I have learnt.”

Postgraduate Diploma in The Geology of Yorkshire and Northern England

Key Details

  • Apply now for September 2016
  • Two years
  • Part-time
  • Taught wholly online
  • Six distinct modules
  • Highly interactive programme
  • 5 day residential course on campus with field trips
  • Supportive environment
I would be very grateful if you would forward this email newsletter on to individuals who would like to hear about the course or members of a Geological society, and if you are able to hand out some flyers please let me know by replying to this email with your postal address.

Best wishes

Amanda Pauw

Postgraduate Online Learning Courses Administrator
Centre for Lifelong Learning
University of York
t: 01904 328482

Please note that I am currently working two days per week and therefore if I do not respond to your email promptly, I will reply to you as soon as possible.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/uniofyorkcll

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése